cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cigar resting period

youkevin06
Petite Corona

Hello Cigar Lover! 
I am asking what is the purpose of allowing for your cigars to rest in a humidor before smoking? I currently own a small desktop humidor that holds about 60 cigars. I am wanting to know how long cigars should be resting before smoked? And what is the purpose of letting it rest, does the flavors and aromas accentuate through out the process?

3 Replies 3

justinmoore
Corona

premium cigars that you get at the store are sold with the intention of being able to be smoked immediately. Cubans come to market fast so I always age those. Most of mine rest simply because I keep buying so much ๐Ÿคฃ

tonycasas
Corona

Mathew pretty much nailed it. One thing I'd add that in my case, I live in a VERY dry and hot environment so most cigars I receive are usually more humid than the outside air. If I smoke these right off the bat I usually encounter the filler tobacco expanding causing the wrapper to crack. After spending a week or two in my humidor they usually acclimate and are good to go!

MatthewFolger
Robusto

Morning!  The primary reason to let cigars rest in your humidor is so that they can acclimate to the type of smoking conditions you prefer.  If you keep your humidor a little higher or lower based on environmental factors (really humid or really dry climate where you live), it is best to allow time for the cigars to acclimate.  Another reason is when purchasing cigars online, it's a good idea to let them rest in your humidor to recoup any humidity lost during transit.  While your average trip from warehouse to your humidor won't cause much, it's always a good idea for the optimum smoking experience.

It is recommended to keep them in the humidor for 2-3 weeks before smoking.  However, like anything with cigars, it's always your call.  If you have a great smoking experience after only 2 days in a humidor, go for it!  This is just the recommended way to ensure you do have a well humidified stick every time.

As far as flavors resting, cigars typically have an aging period before being shipped to the distributor to allow this to happen.  However, you can continue this by allowing your cigar to age out of the cellophane in your humidor.  To see the best results does require patience (anywhere from 6 months to 2 years in my experience, though some go for longer!) as well as steadfast humidor care, but the flavor and experience of a well aged and finely plumed cigar are well worth it.