FREE SHIPPING on any order!
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I keep the Cellophane on my cigar?

gabrielle
Robusto

Being a novice cigar smoker, I've thought about this question a lot and honestly debated how to keep my cigars as fresh as possible. So, being the researcher I am, I did a little digging. Here's what I found. 

• Keeping the Cellophane on the cigars can protect them from different contaminants like dust, and it helps maintain their moisture a bit longer when not stored in a humidor. 
  • Taking the Cellophane off allows for quicker humidification and dehumidification of cigars. It is easier to inspect the cigars to ensure they are properly humidified.

After researching, I wanted a solution that gave me the best of both solutions. If you cut the cellophane up to the edge of the foot of the cigar, then it will allow more moisture inside while maintaining the protective benefits of the wrapper!  ๐Ÿ”ฅ

9 Replies 9

techmaster
Petite Edmundo

I realize also that in my 'humidor' (an airtight container with Boveda, all the cigars touch, lay on top of each other. If you have I high end humidor with shelves, it's likely they are each on a cedar shelf... which would be fine to leave the wrapper off since it's not touching other cigars. hmmm... not as 'cut and dried' as one might want to think. ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Well not all cigars even come in cello, but yeah one of the larger humidors can keep them separated. Or if you buy by the box then keeping them together would solve that. I have multiple tupperdors myself and some of them touch but Iโ€™m not ready to spend 1k on a super awesome NewAir lol

justinmoore
Corona

There's a great documentary with Klaus Kelner at Davidoff called "From Seed to Smoke" in which he talks about how they swear by keeping the cellophane on. It's porous and allows humidity in and out. In the humidor, it also keeps the oils from melding between various cigars.

techmaster
Petite Edmundo

I have observed in some store humidors... cigars without cellophane had mold on them, and those with it did not. I have had this experience at least once myself in my own humidor. because of that, I leave it on, but I think I will try removing again since I now have an Airtight container with Boveda and trust it. Good thread. Thanks for the info!

brewsandstogies
Petite Edmundo

I leave the cellophane on for a couple days so they can rest after buying them and keep them in an airtight bag with a Boveda pack. Once I put them in the humidor I'll take it off so they can acclimate with the other cigars. 

tonycasas
Corona

Everything I have read lead me to the same conclusion as @STOGIEWIZZARD . I leave mine on since its breathable and could help prevent any damage to the cigar. But in the end, I do thing it's all personal preference. 

smokinrob
Petite Edmundo

The best answer I've found is exactly that...It is personal preference! I personally keep my cellophane on my cigars as I like the extra protection it offers, as cello is breathable I personally have not found a difference between a cigar that has been kept in for a year, versus one that has not been kept in cello for the same amount of time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kirv
Petite Edmundo

I am going to have to try this out...What is cellophane made out of? And is air able to pass through it?

True cellophane is a natural substance made of cellulose, the main component in the cell wall of a plant. It is breathable, I was always taught to leave the cello on the cigar to prevent anything happening to them.