FREE SHIPPING on any order!
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Can I Tell If My Cigars Are Fresh?

aaronlng92
Corona

Hello everyone! Today's beginner question from your resident newcomer is regarding freshness of cigars. I have a handful of cigars in my humidor and I'm humidifying with Boveda packs (72%). I want to make sure all of my cigars are still fresh and get rid of any that might not be good anymore. Can anyone guide me on a good way to check my cigars for freshness?

2 Replies 2

Mjb1488
Petite Corona

Fresh is probably a bad term. Some of the best and most sought after cigars are those that have aged for a number of years. Cubans for example are better with 2-5 years aging at least. Padron x000 series also benefit from aging. That said they must be maintained while aging. It is always good to keep the humidity between 60-70rh depending on the cigar. If you feel that some may be too dry it may be possible to revive them if they haven't been dry for too long. The best way is to leave them in a 62rh humidor for a month or two. Light them up and try before just throwing them out. You may be surprised:)

RegC
Robusto

The "Pinch Test" is probably one of the easiest ways to start. The cigar should be firm with a slight bounce to it when given a gentle squeeze. A dry hard cigar isn't fresh & one that's too bouncy/spongy maybe over humidified.