FREE SHIPPING on any order!
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you handle your mail-order cigars?

tonycasas
Corona

This is something that has been discussed quite a bit, but I am curious what you all do with your cigars once you receive them via mail order.

First, I live in a VERY rough climate for cigars. Iโ€™m in a desert. The summers average above 100 degrees and we get a total of 11 inches of average rainfall per year. Thatโ€™s right. Itโ€™s dry as hell here. That being said, itโ€™s not the idea place for cigar smokers who arenโ€™t at least a little **bleep** about how they treat and store cigars.

What I have noticed is that when cigars get delivered, especially in the summer months, the excess of heat causes a lot of the moisture to be released from the cigars. This is no problem for those that come packaged with Boveda packs or any other two-way humidification system. But other times, they come a bit moist. In this case Iโ€™ll usually dry box them for a day before dumping them into my humidor. For the record I keep the collophane on if the cigar has it, but Iโ€™m not too much of a stickler about it.

Now comes the part Iโ€™m interested in. How long do you all normally wait to smoke them after receiving mail order cigars? Not only am I impatient, but I also feel that a consumer should be able to smoke a cigar pretty quickly after receiving them. This pertains mainly to the humidification issues and not so much on aging a cigar for flavor. Thatโ€™s a whole other box of worms that Iโ€™ll go into another time. I normally try to keep them in my humidor for at least a week before lighting up. This is a bit of a standard for me that I try to follow, but sometimes haste gets the best of me. I have noticed that as long as I do the dry boxing during the summer that the cigars perform pretty well even up to a day or two after receiving them.

I think I am mostly curious to see how you all handle this. I suspect that different demographics may change quite a bit of the process for each of you. Is anyone else here living in the dry desert? How do you cope with humidity?

4 Replies 4

FTB_Anthony
Petite Edmundo

If it comes pre-packed with a boveda and the cigars aren't cracking on a pinch test, then I may not be able to restrain myself and dive right in, however if they have been shipping for a while or come without a humi-pack, then I like to put them in a humidor for a bit to reacclimate before trying to smoke one. Coming from where you are at Tony, or where I used to live in the SW, almost anything coming in had to rest for a bit due to the dry climate.

MatthewFolger
Robusto

If I get an order mailed, it's usually in pretty good shape as is, but I tend to like my cigars in about 65% humidity, so I put them in my humidor for at least 2 weeks to acclimate to that.  However, not above saying that if it's a cigar I am really looking forward to, it may be mere hours between package opening and lighting it up.  Don't judge me! 

Sandi_518
Corona

I store my mail-order cigars in Tupperware for at least 2 weeks so they can rest or settle.  Depending on when I plan to smoke, I may not smoke these cigars immediately (after the 2 weeks), and the cigars will continue to rest until I decide to smoke them.

RegC
Robusto

For me it depends on where I'm ordering from and distance/# of travel days. Also if they include boveda packs or not, some I'll smoke within a day or two others I'll let rest in the humidor a week or so. Can't help you with the desert question though ๐Ÿ™‚