FREE SHIPPING on any order!
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Top Tips For Taking A Perfect Cigar Shot

RegC
Robusto

Being a professional photographer, Iโ€™m often asked how I capture quality photographs of cigars that I post on social media. Some assume that I always have one of my pro DSLRs (digital single-lens reflex camera) with me, however, thatโ€™s not the case. Most of the cigar images I post are taken with my smartphone (Samsung Note 20 Ultra). Cameras on phones especially from companies like Apple, Samsung, Sony, and Motorola have advanced to the point that even non-pros can get a great picture if they utilize some of the tips that weโ€™ll discuss today.

Many of the top-tier phones on the market have manual modes and a lot of features that one can experiment with to take their cigar photography to the next level. Grab your cigars, and letโ€™s get started.

Tip #1. Light

Proper can take an image from ok to great. In this case, when we say light, youโ€™re not grabbing your torch to light your cigar. Weโ€™re talking about your available light sources, which can affect several things in the photo: clarity, tone, and sharpness to name a few. In situations where there is harsh/bright light, try changing the angle of the subject to reduce glare or loss of detail. When confronted with low light it can be tough to hold your phone and cigar steady which can produce blurry images. When using the flash, it can cause some of the same issues as harsh light. Photographing a cigar in low light can be challenging. Some smartphones have night modes, which help maximize the available light. If you are holding your cigar and getting blurry images, try placing your cigar on a flat surface, this should help.

Tip #2. Set Your Focus On Your Cigar

A properly focused image will be sharp and pleasing to the eye. Smartphone cameras have auto-focus, and you can tap the screen to have the camera hone in on a particular subject this is helpful when the camera is focusing on other objects in the frame, or you want to highlight a certain part of the subject. One thing that many people like is the effect where the background of the image is blurred, the term for that is Bokeh. This is a function of the aperture of the lens and the distance between the subject and the background. The lower the aperture and the further the background is from the subject make for a stronger blur.

Tip #3. Composition (Gridlines, The Rule Of Thirds, Balance & Small Details)

Composition is how the elements of a photo are arranged, when done properly the result is a visually appealing image. If you use Instagram then youโ€™re probably familiar with gridlines, a three-by-three grid. This is useful in utilizing the rule of thirds, a way of dividing the for optimal composition. Subject elements should be placed where these lines of the grid intersect or segment your image. Doing this allows for more interesting images rather than simply centering a subject. In a balanced image, the various quadrants of an image complement each other. The great things about cigars are the small details from the wrapper, foot, and band. Many bands are colorful and have extensive detail, not to mention those cigars that come in tubos or coffins.

Tip #4. Negative Space

Negative space refers to the area around the subject(s) of an image. A subject will stand out more when there is a lot of negative space in a photo. What is negative space? It can be the sky, an open field, water, or a wall. If you want your cigar to be the ultimate star of the image, then this is the way to go.

Tip #5. Use Of Filters

Filters can be a fun way to spice up your image or in some cases, fix an image where the lighting or color may be a little off. Just donโ€™t get too heavy-handed with them.

0 Replies 0