cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KevinI
Lounge Presidente
Lounge Presidente

Brand Spotlight: Tatuaje Cohetes

Could Cohetes be Tatuaje’s Best Work to Date?

BS-TatuajeCohetes_1.jpg

Introduction:

The original Tatuaje Cohete goes back more than 15 years where it was originally released as an exclusive for a retail store in California in really limited quantities. The sentiment here is that Tatuaje Cohete was almost impossible for people to get (especially us in the Northeast), but to the satisfaction of everyone outside of the greater Sacramento area, Tatuaje announced that it would be releasing a trio of Tatuaje Cohete blends nationwide.

There are a few similarities between three Tatuaje Cohetes – they are all 4” x 50 petite robustos produced at the My Father factory. All three blends utilize Nicaraguan binders and fillers, are all priced at $9.00 per cigar, use the same recognizable brown primary band found on the Tatuaje Nicaragua line, are very difficult to find, and are all exceptional blends in my opinion

Despite the similarities of the trio of Cohetes, there are two key differences that help differentiate the three blends. The first being the different wrappers that are used on each of the three blends – Ecuador Habano, Ecuador Sumatra, and Connecticut Broadleaf. The second difference is the secondary bands that emblazon the “Capa Especial” Sumatra, and “Reserva” Broadleaf blends.

If you take anything away from this, it should be that you can get all three limited-edition Tatuaje Cohetes blends for $27.00 in our Tatuaje Cohetes Flight Sampler. I would be surprised if you could find these blends anywhere, but it just so happens that we were holding onto our very limited allocation of these to share with everyone on a rainy day (yes, it is raining here as I write this).

I can’t say enough good things about these cigars – awesome size, awesome blends, awesome construction, awesome everything.

So, on that note, lets jump into the blends!

BS-TatuajeCohetes_hdr-notext.jpg

The Blends:

1.     Tatuaje Cohetes

• Wrapper: Habano
  • Body: Medium
  • Main Flavors: Earth, Black Pepper, Cedar

To me, this Habano wrapped iteration of Cohetes almost seems like the perfect representation of Tatuaje - medium-bodied, medium-strength, and full of flavor. Underneath the Habano wrapper, the Nicaraguan binder and blend of Nicaraguan fillers combine to create a really balanced, yet delicate flavor profile that boats flavors of earth, cedar, and black pepper that are rounded out by a distinct nuttiness on the retrohale. If I were to recommend a Tatuaje blend to someone trying the brand for the first time, it would be this one.

2.     Tatuaje Cohetes Capa Especial

• Wrapper: Sumatra
  • Body: Medium
  • Main Flavors: Cashews, Leather, Natural Sweetness

It’s really difficult for me to say what my favorite Cohetes blend is – I like to avoid picking favorites, especially considering how outstanding I think all of these blends are. But I hold Capa Especial in such high regard that I feel obligated to yell it from the rooftops that I think this is the best of the Cohetes. Expect a medium-bodied profile with rich notes of leather, salted cashews, and muted notes of citrus with a noticeable natural sweetness on the finish. Not only do I think Capa Especial is the best of the three Cohetes (ask me in two weeks to see if this still holds true), but it’s honestly one of the best cigars I can remember smoking in recent memory.

3.     Tatuaje Cohetes Reserva

• Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
  • Body: Medium to Full
  • Main Flavors: Cocoa, Coffee, Salt

Not many people utilize Connecticut Broadleaf tobacco as well as Tatuaje and the Garcia family in my opinion, and Cohetes Reserva is a great example of this expertise. Possibly the boldest flavor profile of the three Cohetes blends, Reserva is medium to full-bodied with rich notes of cocoa, sweet coffee, and a sweet and salty finish that reminds of slightly overcooked fudge brownies. Reserva is a perfect introduction into the world of Connecticut Broadleaf – it showcases all the delicate flavors that this tobacco has to offer without being overly strong.

BS-TatuajeCohetes_2.jpg

Final Thoughts:

Cohetes is one of my favorite projects from Tatuaje in some time and I think this comes from the combination of my favorite size, really quality blends, and the limited nature of the releases. Whatever the reasons may be for my high praise of Cohetes, I would recommend all three blends to absolutely everyone and anyone.

This isn’t something you will want to miss, so be sure to pick up a sampler, and let us know what your favorite Cohete blend is!

Labels