Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joey
Robusto

Best Cigar Cutters 2022

Our Experts Recommend Their Top Choices

211203_bestcutters_hdr.jpg

Getting Started

Enjoying a great cigar is one of the most relaxing parts of my day — if I have the right tools for the job. Without my trusty cigar cutter and lighter at my side, I’m left slicing the cap of my chosen tobacco blend off with my fingernail and hoping I don’t damage it in the process. Or, even worse, I use a dull cutter at a lounge and damage the cigar I was hoping to unwind with.

If you love to smoke cigars, a trusty cigar cutter is one of your most valuable assets. With it, you can ensure any cigar you grab is prepared properly and set up for a successful smoking experience.

When it comes to choosing what cutter to go for, things get a little more complicated. There’s a huge range of options from $1 to $1,000 and everything in between. On top of that, you’ve got a ton of different brands, styles, and color options to choose from as well.

While we can’t help you pick a favorite color, we have narrowed down the market to a few cutters that we rely on day in and day out. These are cutters that we can personally attest have performed hundreds of times with no issues. We’ll get to those in just a second – first, let’s talk about the different styles of cutters available for you.

What Types of Cigar Cutters Are There?

blog_beginners-accessories_cutters.jpg

The most common style of cigar cutter is the guillotine. Available in either a single or double blade, these cutters look like their namesake and can be found in almost every cigar shop around the world. When dealing with guillotines, and most cutter styles, you’ll want to pay attention to what materials are used in the build. More affordable cutters tend to use plastic housing and cheaper, thinner blades that will dull over time. A great cigar cutter is going to have an all-metal body, and stainless steel or Damascus steel blades.

The V-Cut or “wedge” cutter is another popular option. Instead of creating the straight cut of a guillotine, v-cutters make a notched hole (like a “v”) in the head of the cigar to create airflow. Some cigar lovers swear by the v-cutter, saying you get a slightly different flavor. The idea is that the shape of the cut angles the smoke of each puff towards a different part of your palate, allowing you to taste the cigar in a different way. We have not found this to be consistently true, but it’s a fun experiment: next time you’re enjoying a cigar, cut one with a guillotine and one with a v-cut and see if you notice any changes!

Punches are the other frequently used cigar cutter style and work differently than the previous two options. A cigar punch does not cut the cap off a cigar. Instead, the punch is inserted into the head and twisted carefully to create a small, circular opening that you can draw through.

Cigars cut in all three styles - the punch is on the left, straight cut in the middle, and the v-cut is on the right.Cigars cut in all three styles - the punch is on the left, straight cut in the middle, and the v-cut is on the right.

For our recommendations, we’re going to mainly recommend guillotine cutters, though we’ll include a v-cut and punch for those interested. Specifically, we’ll want a dual blade cutter. Single-blade cutters work in a pinch, but since one of the blades on a single-blade cutter is stationary, you may find you split your cap or unintentionally damage your cigar if you do not make the cut quickly or precisely enough.

Why a guillotine over a v-cutter or punch? It all comes down to versatility. With a v-cutter at hand, you may struggle to enjoy cigars with odd shapes like perfectos or torpedos. With a punch cutter, torpedos again pose a problem. Additionally, punch cutters tend to struggle with very skinny cigars (where the force of the punch can split the cigar) and with very thick cigars (where a single hole may not give you enough of a draw). With a dual-blade guillotine at hand, you can cut any style of cigar exactly to your liking.

Best Cigar Cutters Reviewed

Best Overall: Xikar XO Circle Cutter

211203_bestcutters_4.jpg

The Xikar XO gets our top recommendation spot due to the unique “planetary gear system” in the blades. This gear system ensures the blades open and close in perfect harmony for a buttery smooth cut every time. The all-aluminum body is rugged and durable, and the stainless-steel blades can cut thousands of cigars without dulling. We’ve been using an original XO cutter since 2018 to cut anywhere from 2 – 14 cigars a week, and it’s just as great now as it was on day one. The only downside to this cutter is that it’s slightly “deeper” than most guillotines, so you need to ensure you’re lining up your cut correctly. Use it once or twice, though, and this becomes second nature.

Runner-Up: Xikar Xi2 Cigar Cutter

211203_bestcutters_2.jpg

Our second recommendation goes to the Xikar Xi2. This is the classic “tear-drop” design from Xikar, and one you’ve likely seen countless times before.  The Xi2 is a more pocket-friendly option, as it’s much flatter and lighter than the XO. The base here is made of nylon fiberglass with a metallic finish. The blades are everything you expect from Xikar – stainless steel and hardened to a Rockwell C rating of 56. The Xi2 struggles to cut cigars over a 56-ring gauge, but if you’re only ever smoking cigars at a 54-ring or smaller, you’ll find a perfect companion here.

Best Affordable: Craftsman’s Bench 64-Ring Cutter

Craftsman’s Bench 64-Ring Cutter.JPG

If you need an extra cutter to throw in your golf bag or leave at your buddy’s place (or if you’re always losing your nice accessories), the Craftsman’s Bench 64-ring is the cutter for you. It’s a simple model, one you’ve probably seen a dozen times at different cigar lounges, but the Craftsman’s Bench one just works. You’ve got a double guillotine blade that can handle up to a 64-ring, and it’s surprisingly sharp for the price point. The downsides? It is made with all plastic housing, so the blades eventually get loose, and it can break over time. Also, the logo and coloring will eventually fade. But for $4, you can always grab another.

Best V-Cutter: Lotus Viper 64 Gauge V-Cutter

211203_bestcutters_1.jpg

For years, we swore by the Colibri V-Cut, but the recent Lotus Viper 64 Gauge V-Cutter has changed our minds. This v-cut is built with all-metal housing underneath a rubberized easy grip and push button release. The blade is on a spring-loaded lock mechanism, ensuring a satisfying “click” and easy action on every cut. This piece is equipped to handle cigars up to 64-ring, so you should have no issues with 99% of lines on the market.

Best Punch Cutter: Lotus Cyclops 11mm Punch Cutter

211203_bestcutters_3.jpg

A punch cutter can be tricky – get a dull one, and you’re almost guaranteed to damage your cigar. But they have a ton of positives: they’re certainly the most convenient style of cutter out there (you can keep it right on your keyring) and some folks swear by them. Our award for the best punch cutter then goes to the Lotus 11mm Cyclops Punch Cutter. Sharp, compact, and reliable, this punch cutter gives you everything you need.

Next Steps

So there you have it, our choices for the best cigar cutters on the market. Did we miss your favorite? Let us know in the comments.

If you’re just picking up your first cutter and are looking for tips to enjoy your first cigar, or you need some more accessories in your loadout, be sure to check out:

Labels