FREE SHIPPING on any order!
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you pair beer with cigars? Itโ€™s a lot simpler than you think.

tonycasas
Corona

As cigars smokers we all tend to indulge in the good things in life. Anything that slows down time, clears our thoughts, and leads to great memories and conversations. As long as I have been a cigar smoker the pairing of choice for cigars has always been whiskey, and for good reason. Different types of whiskey tend to carry very similar flavor profiles found in premium cigars as well as many complimentary flavors that can enhance the experience. Therein lies the key to a successful pairing.

beer1.jpg

The formula is simple: The flavors need to marry up with the existing flavors in the cigar while not overpowering the experience. Sprinkle in some flavors that are present in your beer or cigar that are not present in the other and that only heightens the experience. When you think about beer, there are quite a few that can easily fall into this algorithm. The scary part is that there are so many different styles of beer that it also results in a ton of varieties that can easily ruin a cigar experience.

beer2.jpg

I am a huge craft beer drinker so I try to squeeze in these pairing every chance I get and have realized that certain cigars pair wonderfully with certain beers:

• Lagers/Light Ales: Light-bodied cigars. ex. Connecticut shade, Sumatran
  • Porters: Mid-range body cigars. ex Cameroon, Ecuadorian, Dominican
  • Stouts: Full-Bodied Cigars. ex Nicaraguan, Broadleaf, Habano

beer3.jpg

While this is just a quick road map you really need to take each and every blend into consideration. Not all Sumatran cigars are mild just as not all Nicaraguan cigars are full-bodied. Think about the flavors in each cigar. Does it carry a lot of spice? Then you may want to go with a Stout. Is it both spicy and sweet? A barrel-aged stout may be more your jam. But try pairing that same barrel-aged stout with a mild-bodied cigar and the beer will be the only thing you taste. Just think about each pairing, the body in both the cigar and the beer, the flavors withing both and make your pairing decision based on that.

beer4.jpg

Being of German descent, I have always been a big fan of German beer. One pairing that I feel is the good happy-medium to start out with and work your way outwards is always a good German Marzen. Marzens are known to carry a decent amount of malt and body yet result in an incredibly smooth and reliable experience. This makes for a perfect cigar pairing foundation as in most cases a good Marzen wonโ€™t dominate the pairing experience nor will it fall flat with paired with even the boldest of cigars.

beer5.jpg

In the end, donโ€™t be afraid to experiement. Each time you smoke a cigar, think about the flavors and if you have ever had a beer with similar notes. Each time you take a sip of that ale ask yourself: โ€œIs there a cigar in my humidor that would pair with this?โ€. Be adventurous. And in the end if you find yourself still hesitant, grab a Marzen, light up your favorite stick, and enjoy.

3 Replies 3

RegC
Robusto

I need to get over to Bruery soon, but there are so many new breweries opening in DC. I just came across 2 new ones the other day, not to mention I have one walking distance from me (Right Proper). It's been interesting to talk to folks and see that a fair number overlook ciders for one reason or another. I have some black cask bourbon flavored black tea that I like to drink in the morning with a cigar since I'm not a coffee drinker. 

RegC
Robusto

You have beers from two of my favorites - The Bruery (they have a location not to far from my place in DC) & Cigar City Brewing. While I do enjoy a good beer with my cigars, I tend to drink ciders over just about anything else, especially if I'm at home. 

Oh man thats rad that you are so close! I'm actually a Bruery Hoarder Society Member but get most of my stuff from CA. I live in the middle of nowhere so usually do proxy shipping. Small price to pay for good stuff! 

Ciders are interesting and part of a larger conversation I've had with a few buddies lately. For some reason Ciders, Apple Juice, and sweet black tea are such AMAZING, yet overlooked cigar pairings. I actually find myself doing the juice and tea often, however we don't really get a lot of good ciders out here ๐Ÿ˜ž