FREE SHIPPING on any order!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Kentucky Bourbon & Cigar Pairings

joey
Robusto

It’s likely well documented on this site that I have an obsession with cigars. The only thing that rivals my cigar collection in my house? The bar. I’m a huge fan of whiskeys (in all styles), but most specifically, I love Kentucky bourbons. Back in July of 2021, I had the opportunity to visit Louisville, KY for a few days to tour the bourbon trail and purchase an absolute ton of the good stuff.

Today, I’d like to share with all of you my top 3 bourbons to pair with cigars. I’ll get into each in detail, and provide some recommended cigars to accompany the drinks, but the reason I love them so much is because they all work well with most cigars you throw at them.

A quick note on the bourbons selected here: I’m going to exclude anything that’s very rare or hard-to-find. These are all bourbons I’ve been able to buy here in Pennsylvania (a heavily regulated control state), and you should be able to find them anywhere around the country pretty easily.

1. Angel’s Envy

First introduced about 10 years ago, Angel’s Envy made waves by being a “finished” bourbon. After aging in new, charred oak barrels, the bourbon is placed into French oak ruby port barrels for 3-6 months. Today, this style of finishing bourbons is pretty trendy — back in 2013, though, it was blazing a new trail.

The port finish of Angel’s Envy gives it a very smooth, naturally sweet flavor. I get vanilla, slight hints of oak, and a little bit of spice out of each sip.

What makes this complimentary for cigars? It’s never overwhelming. Some whiskey, especially ryes, can come in so hot that they’ll overpower a more nuanced cigar but you won’t find that here. In terms of specific cigars to pair up, I like anything with a naturally sweet flavor profile to compliment the bourbon. I’m thinking Sun Grown wrappers, like the Ashton VSG and ESG or the Fuente Magnum R.

1. Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond

Another pick that’s lined up with the overall bourbon trends right now: the Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond. For those who haven’t tried “bonded” bourbons, the distinction is simple. Any bonded bourbon needs to be distilled by a single distiller in one season, aged for at least 4 years in a bonded warehouse, and then bottled at exactly 100 proof.

The reason this style of bourbon exists is more historic than artistic. In the late 1800s, as the bourbon industry started booming, all sorts of shortcuts and tricks were being taken. Unscrupulous distillers were tricking the public by adding syrup and caramel to their bourbon to make it look darker – or, in truly horrific cases, they were adding formaldehyde or tobacco spit from a spittoon to the mix. Yeah, not something you want. The bottled-in-bond act ensured bourbon sold was made responsibly.

Let’s get back to the Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond: this is an extremely affordable bourbon, with a shockingly good flavor. Most specifically, I love this spirit to make Old Fashioneds.

Here’s how I make my Old Fashioned: add a sugar cube to your glass and dissolve it with a few dashes of bitters. Add a little splash (maybe a tsp?) of water and stir it. Pour in a double of Evan Williams, pop a big old ice cube in the middle, garnish it with a lemon twist, and you’re good to go.

This drink is shockingly refreshing, and the lemon twist helps bring out some bright, citrusy notes in the bourbon. They sit atop a classic core of woods and spice which makes this a great drink for any Habano wrapped blend. Preferably, you want something medium-bodied and not too full-flavored: I’m thinking Southern Draw Cedrus, Guardian of the Farm, or Dunbarton’s Sobremesa.

1. Maker’s 46

220111_topkentuckybourbonpairings_1.jpeg

Maker’s 46 is technically a finished bourbon as well. What makes it more distinct on this list is that it’s also a wheated bourbon. Before people start crying foul that I picked Maker’s over Weller or something from the Buffalo Trace distillery, let’s remember my goal here is to find readily available spirits.

Maker’s 46 is the slightly “nicer” version of Maker’s – after going through the same distillation process as the flagship Maker’s Mark, the 46 is then put back in the barrel with 10 heavily seared French oak staves. This process adds a very buttery finish to the bourbon, with notes of toast and caramel.

Maker’s 46 is my bourbon of choice for many Maduros. I find the chocolate and coffee notes in cigars like the ADVentura Royal Return King’s Gold and Black Label Trading Co. Last Rites work really well with the rich caramel sweetness of the Maker’s.

For extra credit, I love a Manhattan with this bourbon. Throw a Luxardo cherry in the mix, and you’ve got a fantastically satisfying drink.

So those are my choices for top bourbons to pair with your cigars! What are you guys drinking, what did I miss? Feel free to let me know in the comments, and I’ll be sure to give your suggestions a shot.  

5 Replies 5

mbfoto33
Petite Edmundo

My go to bourbons are either Woodford Reserve Double Oaked or Blanton's. Definitely want to try the Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond

born2HERF
Corona

Mad dog 🤤 

…but that’s more of a fortified wine.

whiskey (A-hem… whisky) I like me some rye. Basic B is Templeton Rye. Bury me with this bottle is A Midwinter’s Nights Dram by High West 😚 ☠️ 

59C4D494-4A14-4ACC-B1DB-B85D22756035.jpeg

Bye for now 👋

Andrew
Petite Edmundo

Cannot wait to try this!

EddieHerfy
Petite Corona

Sounds like a trip to the liquor store is in my future. Can't wait to try these pairings!

gabrielle
Robusto

Amazing! Very informative @joey