Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joey
Robusto

Top Wedding Cigars

The Best Cigars to Celebrate the Big Day

topweddingcigars_hdr.jpg

The Basics

Whether you smoke two cigars a day or once a month, I think it is safe to say that we all love a quality cigar. A cigar after the completion of a strenuous project, on a Friday night after a long work week, or even after something as simple as mowing the lawn should be celebrated.

We all have our go-to blends that serve us well for these occasions, but when it comes to a celebration as grand as a wedding, we owe it to ourselves to indulge a little bit.

So, what exactly is it that makes a cigar a “wedding cigar”? How is a “wedding cigar” any different than the cigar that I smoke on a Saturday morning after my weekly trip to the grocery store? The short answer is that there is no formula (that we know of) that makes a blend worthy of being considered a “wedding cigar.” But through extensive trial, we have come to the consensus that there are certainly cigars that make the special day even more enjoyable.

Let us walk you through what we look for:

What to look for

Weddings seem to be inherently fun - wholesome food, tasteful music, stiff cocktails, and good company are all we could possibly want, right? Although this combination has all the ingredients you would expect to create a memorable night, we are missing one thing that would make this occasion even more unforgettable.

I am not saying that there is such a thing as the perfect “wedding cigar”, but there are absolutely some distinct qualities that we look for when choosing a blend.

First, we don’t necessarily want a cigar that is going to be overly strong. Whether you plan on smoking before, during, or after the reception, the last thing you want is to be bombarded with a nicotine buzz so abrasive that it prevents you from loosening that tie and putting on those boogie shoes.

Second, we want something that is balanced. We all know that the big day, for any participant, can become a bit overwhelming at times, so the right blend will serve as the perfect stress reliever to keep you even keeled during some of these trying times.

Finally, we need something that is jam-packed with flavor. Throughout the day we expect to be consuming a ton of food and beverages with a lot of distinct flavors. It is important to make sure that the nuances of a cigar that we have come to love are not drowned out by all this other “stuff.”

Funny enough, the cigars included in this list all happen to follow the theme of weddings in one way or another.

Now that we have laid the groundwork, let’s dive into our list of the Top Wedding Cigars.

Top Wedding Cigars Reviewed

La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Duque

6BD-PM-1016_5256-2009.png

Kicking off the list is one of my all-time favorite cigars for any occasion, let alone a wedding. Don’t let the toothy San Andres wrapper fool you – although medium-full bodied and full-flavored, Mi Amor is seemingly in the perfect range in terms of strength. Just the right amount of spice combined with rich notes of chocolate and coffee and rounded out with a hint of natural sweetness create an unbelievably balanced blend that you’ll be reluctant to put down. And let’s not glaze over the fact that this cigar is as well-constructed as any I’ve ever gotten my hands on. Not surprising since these come out of legendary Jose “Pepin” Garcia’s esteemed factory in Nicaragua. Oh, and Mi Amor was awarded the #2 Cigar of the Year by Cigar Aficionado in 2011.

Davidoff Aniversario Special ‘R’

DV6-PM-1012_4850-2007.png

I don’t think there is much that needs to be said about Davidoff, but I will have a go at it anyway. When I think about consistency and elegance, or really any other favorable quality in relation to cigars, the first thing that comes to mind is Davidoff. I think the Aniversario line is perfect representation of what Davidoff has come to be known for. An immaculate Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper sits atop a blend of 4-year-aged Dominican fillers that provides for the smoothest smoking experiences you could imagine. Balanced and exceedingly flavorful, Aniversario is a strong complement to any food or beverage pairing you may choose. Who knew you could get so much flavor out of a crisp Connecticut?

Ashton Aged Maduro No. 40

AGA-PM-1001_6050-1906.png

Truly a classic blend, Ashton Aged Maduro is unlike most of the maduros in today’s market. It sits right in that mellow-medium range while still providing the unmistakable flavors you would expect from an expertly fermented Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper – notes of rich dark chocolate and cedar, and a hint of spice create the perfect introduction to the world of maduros without being obnoxiously strong. I have also found that it pairs well with absolutely everything from a sweet chocolate cake or a rare filet mignon, to a stiff bourbon or a cold lager. From the seasoned veteran to the first-time novice, Ashton Aged Maduro will be an instant hit for any cigar smoker. For all the reasons mentioned above, this is why I handed out Ashton Aged Maduro to friends and family after my wedding reception with no complaints.

Dias de Gloria by AJ Fernandez Robusto

DDG-PM-1005_5552-1910.png

Is there anyone more prominent in the industry today than AJ Fernandez? I would be hard pressed to say “yes.” As we all know, this industry goes through ebbs and flows of trends, but I am here to confidently say that AJ Fernandez’s bold blends are here to stay. I typically associate with AJ Fernandez with full-bodied beasts that are bound to have me out of commission for an hour or two, but Dias de Gloria separates itself from my usual impression. With Dias de Gloria you get an exquisitely balanced blend that boasts of notes of coffee, vanilla, and a hint of spice with a particularly tasty nuttiness that rounds everything out. Medium bodied and medium strength, this blend is unbelievably flavorful in the best way and rolled to perfection so don’t be surprised if you find yourself splurging on a box or two after the first draw.

Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real Toro

RFA-PM-1007_6054.png

Romeo y Julieta is one of those brands that has stood the test of time; with their catalog of traditional blends to more experimental lines with industry giants like AJ Fernandez, Romeo y Julieta never fails to deliver a satisfying experience. Even with their seemingly extensive portfolio of winning blends, I seem to find myself always going back to the Reserva Real line when I need a consistent and reliable cigar. A smooth Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper atop a rich Nicaraguan binder and stuffed with delicious Dominican and Nicaraguan fillers has all the makings of a top-notch cigar. Mellow to medium-bodied and surprisingly complex, you’ll find notes of leather, hay, and cedar that are prominent in Reserva Real’s chewy smoke. On a less important note, Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real just looks like a cigar that was made to celebrate.

Final Thoughts

So, there you have it, our list of the Top Wedding Cigars. Not only are they all great choices to celebrate the big day, but their names also follow the wedding theme in one way or another – Mi Amor, Aniversario, Dias de Gloria, Romeo y Julieta? Ashton Aged Maduro doesn’t follow this naming convention, but it is too good to omit from this list.

Make sure to let us know what you think of our choices, and feel free to mention what you would consider your top wedding cigars!

All these blends are available individually or in our Top Wedding Cigars Sampler.

Labels