Did you mean: 
KevinI
Lounge Presidente
Lounge Presidente

The Art of Limited-Edition Cigars

And Why They Should Matter to You, Or Not

ArtOfLE_hdr-notext.jpg

Overview:

Today we are going to take a brief look at what it means for a cigar to be limited-edition, why it should matter to you, and most importantly, we will give you an overview of some of the best limited-edition and limited production cigars that Cigora has to offer.

From everything like the legendary, and equally as delicious, McRib, to limited production, small batch bourbons, we all experience a constant turnover of products in our everyday lives – although you may not think of the McRib as limited-edition, it is. When something is described as limited-edition, this really means that the product is either a one-time release and will never be released again (like some collectible sneakers), or that it may only be released once per year for example.

The other term that we can fit into this category, would be limited production (Liga Privada cigars are a good example of this). The Liga Privada No. 9 for example, is a regular production line, but each production cycle of the cigar is limited in its allocation. This really means that instead of producing as many Liga Privada No. 9’s as they can (I’m sure this would make a lot of cigar enthusiasts very happy), Drew Estate only produces them in limited quantities, thus making them much harder to find.

Why Limited-Edition Cigars Matter:

If I’m being honest here, limited-edition cigars can matter to some people for a couple of different reasons, and for others, they simply don’t matter – I am one of the former.

The reasons why limited-edition cigars matter to me, and a lot of others, really starts with the idea that some of these blends will never again be released to the market (as far as we know). I am a collector at heart and being able to smoke a cigar that that vast majority of the industry will never get their hands on, is really exciting to me.

I think the second most important thing that makes limited edition cigars so special to some is the assumed quality of the blends. Now don’t get me wrong, I have had a bunch of limited-edition cigars that were sub-par in my point of view, but when we get to talking about limited edition cigars from the likes of Davidoff or Tatuaje, these releases are undoubtedly some of the best cigars you will ever be able to find.

The final thing that I think draws a lot of people to limited-edition cigars in some cases, is the really innovative packaging concepts that come along with them - Viaje Zombie Supershot is the first LE that comes to mind. From my experience, manufacturers really tend to think outside the box when it comes to designing and ideating their limited-edition releases.

At the end of the day, everyone will view this category differently, but there is no denying that limited-edition releases generally let manufacturers push the boundaries of industry norms in a way that allows for constant innovation (I’m not one to complain about this).

Without further ado, let’s take a look at some of the best LE’s that Cigora has to offer!

Cigora’s Introduction to Limited-Edition Cigars:

1. Tatuaje Monster Series Frank Redux

ArtOfLE_3UF-PM.jpg

• Body: Full
  • Country of Origin: Nicaragua
  • Price Point: $13.00
  • Main Flavors: Cocoa, Cedar, Coffee

Tatuaje’s Monster Series is probably my all-time favorite series of cigar releases, and to take it a step further, Frank may be my favorite cigar ever – I realize this may sound a bit dramatic, but when you get the chance to smoke Frank, or Frank Redux in this case, you will understand my strong feelings. Only 5,000 boxes of Frank Redux were produced, and considering that these released back in 2021, it’s possible you won’t be able to find them anywhere at this point (except here at Cigora of course). Since it's introduction way back in 2008, Tatuaje’s Monster Series has spawned some of the most highly sought-after releases that I can remember – they are the crème de la crème of limited-edition releases, and the perfect addition to a true cigar enthusiasts’ collection.

2. Davidoff Year of the Rabbit 2023

ArtOfLE_DYR-PM.jpg

• Body: Medium
  • Country of Origin: Dominican Republic
  • Price Point: $50.00
  • Main Flavors: Cashews, Leather, Cream

I always try to communicate the idea that just because a cigar is really expensive, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a great cigar. There are obviously exceptions to this notion, and Davidoff Year of the Rabbit is the perfect example of how the highest quality of tobacco can translate into a truly one-of-a-kind cigar. There were 6,500 boxes of Year of the Rabbit produced but seeing as this series of releases from Davidoff is so unbelievably popular and hard to get your hands on, you would think that they only produced 100 boxes. Aside from the exceptional flavor and the signature Davidoff quality of construction, visually speaking, Year of the Rabbit is a truly sight to behold – everything from the box design to the cigar itself is work of art. Is Davidoff Year of the Rabbit expensive? Yes. Is Davidoff Year of the Rabbit worth the money? Absolutely.

3. Viaje Zombie Peppers Black

ArtOfLE_VJM-PM.jpg

• Body: Medium to Full
  • Price Point: $13.75
  • Main Flavors: Black Pepper, Earth, Natural Sweetness

I constantly hear chatter about Viaje and how their releases are a gimmick and blah, blah, blah. I am here to set the record straight and let you know that the work of Andre Farkas of Viaje is far from a gimmick, and it is in fact, absolutely genius (maybe people are getting their “g” words mixed up). Conceptually speaking, the Zombie Peppers series of blends from Viaje, is one of my favorites from the extensive list of limited-edition releases the brand has put to market in their lifetime - a flavor-packed blend from the beloved AGANORSA factory, and one of the most creative packaging designs you have ever seen. What’s not to love? Despite its recent release to market in the past six months or so, Zombie Peppers Black has already garnered cult status and will be one of those cigars that people talk about for years to come.

4. Muestra de Saka Unicorn

ArtOfLE_MSK-PM.jpg

• Body: Medium to Full
  • Price Point: $100.00
  • Main Flavors: Espresso, Rye Bread, Oak

When I first heard about the Muestra de Saka series that Steve Saka and Dunbarton were planning, my first question was, “where can I get them?” Dunbarton Tobacco and Trust has been known for their uber high quality blends for a long time, and with Muestra de Saka Unicorn, you will get the chance to try their most luxurious blend to date. The story goes something like, Steve Saka personally sorted through 6,000 pounds of broadleaf wrapper and Nicaraguan filler tobaccos and ended up selecting only the best 1% to use in the Unicorn blend. The Muestra de Saka Unicorn is hard to find, expensive, and an absolute masterpiece of a blend of some of the highest quality tobaccos known to man.

5. Liga Privada Unico Serie Feral Flying Pig

ArtOfLE_LPD-PM.jpg

• Body: Full
  • Price Point: $21.00
  • Main Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Natural Sweetness, Leather

Although Feral Flying Pig is not a true limited-edition, they are probably the most difficult to blend to find in the Liga Privada portfolio, which says a lot, considering even your standard Liga Privada T52 is seemingly impossible to find. Feral Flying Pig is somewhat of a cult classic with enthusiasts and has quickly grown to be one of those blends that is the upper echelon of everything that Drew Estate has to offer. Whenever I see a box of Feral Flying Pigs at a shop (which is not very often at all), I make sure to get a box because I never know when I’ll be able to find them – I wish I knew how many boxes of Feral Flying Pig Drew Estate produced a year, but I would imagine that it is not that many.

Closing Thoughts:

There you have it, a brief look at some of Cigora’s favorite limited-edition cigars (and trust me we haven’t even scratched the surface). Whether you are looking to get your hands on some rare blends to smoke or just to add to your humidor collection (like myself), we have all the LEs you could possibly hope for, including the five that we just looked at.

Even if you don’t care whether a cigar is limited-edition or regular production, I am confident you will be impressed with any of the blends that we just touched on – they truly are some of the best cigars I have ever smoked.

1 Comment
AFett
Petite Edmundo

Love the entire Tatuaje Monster Series! I can confirm some great choices here. Need to try out the Muestra de Saka though!

Labels