FREE SHIPPING on any order!
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CIGAR REVIEW: Comfortably Numb Vol. 1...I do believe itโ€™s working, good

CigarMagician
Corona

I don't know how to express the fact that I would bet a significant portion of my next paycheck that no one individual has enjoyed this cigar more than I have.  Hundreds does not even get close, likely since these were released in early 2018, I would say I have bought and lit more than 100 boxes work, generally smoking more than 8 of these a week.  It is my newest 'favorite cigar', into the top 10 (actually, who am I kidding, it is in my top 5).  So, why not quote some lyrics from the best song every written, with the namesake of the cigar...I present Comfortably Numb...the cigar, and the song:

CN1.jpg

As a YUUUGE Pink Floyd Fan, Comfortably Numb has long been my all-time favorite song since being introduced to it as a young guy by my sister Gayle in the 1980โ€™s. So when this psychedelic banded cigar hit the store back in late January 2018 I immediately picked up a fiver of these. I was either going to love the cigar or have one put in a shadow box with the CD of Pink Floydโ€™s the wall, but one way or another I was going to enjoy seeing this cigar frequently. Little did I know that from the first time I fired up a Comfortably Numb Cigar, it would join my number one all-time favorite song as my all-time favorite medium bodied cigar! So why am I willing to wager a weekโ€™s pay on my purchase habit of this oneโ€ฆwell, simply it is my any-day, any-time go-to cigar. Having an hour drive from home to work and back, I often pass that time with a cigar to make the commute on Route 78 more bearable. Well, Pink Floyd Radio on Pandora and a Comfortably Numb Volume 1 is almost a routine now on my commute. So, to say that I have purchased at least a box of these every month since February 2018 would be an understatement. At my last count, I had 38 empty boxes in my basement emblazed with the trippy Comfortably Numb by Espinosa Vol. 1 branding. But enough about my purchasing trends of this cigarโ€ฆletโ€™s discuss why I love this cigar the way I do.

As I have often said, we do shop with our eyes first, and the giant band on this cigar is hiding a beautiful and delicate Ecuadorian Habano wrapper. The light tan smooth wrapper is a prelude to my enjoyment. It calms and puts me in the mood to fire one up every time I see it. I am greeted with a nice cedar aroma, and the pre-light draw offers pepper and cedar with a very smooth and even draw.

Giving it a guillotine cut and putting a few matches to the end of the cigar is where I sayโ€ฆโ€Hello, Is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear meโ€ฆโ€ Thatโ€™s right, almost without fail, when I light this cigar I hear the iconic David Gilmore, Roger Waters, Richard Wright, and Nick Mason crescendo of notes playing in my head.  

Soโ€ฆโ€just the basic facts.โ€ This solid medium cigar instantly delivers a smoky cedar and black pepper on the palate with a noticeable earthiness and sweetness on the smooth, short finish during the first third. During this time it can โ€œease my pain, and get me on my feet again.โ€

โ€œI do believe itโ€™s working, goodโ€, as I get into the second third of this cigar. It is generally at this point I carefully peel off the oversized band as the cedar and spice increase. Almost on queue the tea and almond notes meld with a sweet bread-like taste as raisin and citrus combine with red pepper flake on the retro-hale.  

To โ€œkeep you going through the showโ€, the final third of this cigar is when I find intensity of flavor building almost like the iconic Gilmore guitar solo. Now I have smoked cedar, peat, and cashew notes building over dried fruit and baking spice on the retro-hale. The clean short finish makes me want to โ€œhave that feeling once againโ€ and immediately grab another one of these and cut and light, but I rarely do (although I have a few times.)

CN1-1.jpg

So, in closing, reviewing an all-time favorite cigar has actually proven more difficult, because I know why I like this cigar, but putting it into words, well, I think Roger said it bestโ€ฆโ€I can't explain you would not understand, This is not how I am, I have become Comfortably Numb.โ€

~ The CigarMagician, I make cigars...disappear ~
2 Replies 2

Can never go wrong with espinosa im particial to the Vol 2. volume 3 was a good cigar to start the day on

CYOP

Vol. 3 is my second favorite in the series.  I liken it to a stronger version of Vol. 1, with a less fragile wrapper (way over simplified that).  Vol. 2 is a good cigar as well, it just happens to fall into 3rd place in a 3 cigar race. I have gone through two and a half boxes of Vol. 3 already.

~ The CigarMagician, I make cigars...disappear ~