FREE SHIPPING on any order!
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My daily go-to cigar accessories

tonycasas
Corona

By nature, I am an extremely methodical person. I wake up at the same time everyday, have the same routine, sit at the same tables at restaraunts, and keep everything in a tidy order. Usually if one of those things gets out of place then my whole day is off by a few inches. With that in mind, it got me thinking about the accessories I use on a daily basis when smoking cigars. I honestly RARELY swap up my accessory rotation so I wanted to talk about what I use, why I use it, and see what you all are using with success to enjoy your smokes.

Ashtray:

First up my ashtray. I have been using the same one for about 10 years now so I donโ€™t have many details on it anymore. Itโ€™s a Drew Estate crystal ashtray that carries the design of a Nicaraguan box seal on the back. Itโ€™s heavy, itโ€™s not too big nor is it too small, itโ€™s pretty, and itโ€™s held up. Pretty simple there. A cool little note is this was actually given to me from non other than Jonathan Drew back in the day and I have used it on almost every review/cigar smoked since!

DSC_3493.JPG

Torch Lighter:

I am currently using an ST Dupont Maxijet. This thing has been a beast since I received it. It sleek, always works, holds a good amount of butane and never lets me down, even in the wind. There isnโ€™t too much to say here. Get a lighter that works. The most frustrating thing trying to light up a cigar only to find your lighter isnโ€™t working, or is out of butane. Extra marks to Dupont here as they have a nice side window that crudely shows the butane level in the lighter. Another plus is this was given to me from a dear friend a few years before she passed away.

DSC_3531.JPG

Cutter:

For the longest time I actually used a simple Palio cutter. It worked, I never had any issues with it, it was lightweight and convenient. A few years ago I finally decided to upgrade. I wanted something that would match the red from my lighter, but wasnโ€™t too into the Dupont cutters. Being a huge fan of gun metal I was immediately drawn to the Xikar XO double bladded cutter and I have not used another cutter since purchasing this one. It never fails. Itโ€™s sharp, cuts clean, doesnโ€™t need sharpening, and has a large enough opening for larger ring gauge cigars. I also like how unique the design is. If I had to gripe about anything itโ€™s that sometimes tobacco particles can get lodged within the gears and need to be quickly blown out for full operation.

DSC_3093.JPG

These are my basic accessories. I may do a future post with other items such as humidor, travel gear, and specialty stuff. Iโ€™m just really curious what everyone else uses and how they choose what works best for them. Obviously my items have a bit of an emotional attachment, but they also work flawlessly and I never have to worry about failures. At least not yet.

1 Reply 1

john_35
Petite Edmundo

GREAT post! The โ€œfeelโ€ you described with each item connects best to me. I think thatโ€™s what smoking a cigar is all about.

When Iโ€™m at home, I use a relatively large, Cohiba-branded, triple-flame torch and double-guillotine cutter I received as a initiation gifts to a private cigar lounge where we made many great friends. They are very solid and work well. I also have a Drew Estate ashtray (interesting coincidence), but mine is solid stainless steel.

I recently posted a pic of my Brizard & Co items to the accessories page, which I use when I head out on the town.