cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KevinI
Lounge Presidente
Lounge Presidente

staff-intros_matt_hdr-notext.jpg

Want to know the folks behind Cigora? Today, I sat down with Matt to get the inside scoop on what cigars he knows and loves, how he got into the hobby, and more. If you have any additional questions, feel free to let us know!

How long have you been smoking cigars?

I have been smoking cigars now for about 3 years. After I graduated college, I worked in Washington DC for about a year. One of my good friends there loved cigars, he used to go to lounges and what not. So, every now and then, I would find myself hanging out with him and some other friends while smoking a cigar. Although admittedly back then I really did not know what I was doing. Fast forward about 6 months, I found myself a job in the industry and that’s when my eyes really opened to the world of premium cigars and since then I have been sold!

What was your first cigar?

My first cigar that I really remember was a Cohiba Red Dot. I remember this one because it was the first time I went into a store and picked out a cigar. I asked the worker for some recommendations, and he brought me about 4 or 5 cigars to try, but Cohiba was a brand that I had heard of before, so I gave that one a go. I enjoyed it, but I don’t think I quite appreciated it as much as I do now. That’s a cigar that I keep in my humidor to this day.

What are some of your favorite cigar brands?

staff-intros_matt_1.jpg

This is a tough one for me because as I have grown as a cigar smoker, my palate has changed over the last 3 years, mostly in the last 6 months. If you would have asked me this 6 months ago, I probably would have told you Diesel Whiskey Row, La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor, Rocky Patel Sungrown, and Undercrown. However, I am really starting to be intrigued by some of the more up and coming brands and LE cigars in the market. I have recently tried out some masterpieces from Tatuaje, Latitude Zero, Foundation Cigar Company, and ADVentura. But at the end of the day there are a few brands that have been a mainstay in my humidor like Davidoff Nicaragua, Oliva Serie V Melanio, and Ashton Cabinet Selection.  

What do you do at Cigora?

I am the Merchandising Manager at Cigora. So, I am responsible the overall product assortment, business strategy, and making sure that things are running smoothly! I also am active in our community and help drive ideas for our other staff experts to write about.

What do you like besides cigars?

Probably top for me is cooking. I started cooking in 2020 and have grown to love it. I love trying to make new things and sharing my creations with friends and family. I especially love to grill – put me on a grill in the summertime with a beer and a nice cigar, and I will stand there all day! Aside from that, I love anything outside – hiking, golfing (although I’m not very good), lawn games, and anything else that has me in the fresh air! I am also a big sports fan – I coach football and track for my high school alma mater. I’m also a die-hard Eagles fan so September through February is one of my favorite times of year. Finally, I love to just relax with friends and family at any time that I’m able to – outside around a fire, watching TV, or just sitting around and talking!

1 Comment
Labels